Make your own bioplastic
Did you know you can make your own bioplastic using a couple of simple ingredients? Follow the instructions below to learn how!
You will need:
- Cooking oil
- A measuring spoon
- A microwave
- A microwavable container
- A grown-up
- You need to add 1 tablespoon of cornflour, 1 ½ tablespoons of water and 4 drops of cooking oil in your microwavable container.
- Mix the ingredients well until you have a milky liquid.
- Put the mixture in the microwave for about 30 seconds on high. It should start to bubble and become slightly transparent. Make sure you’re watching so that the mixture does not start to burn!
- When the mixture is looking slightly transparent, ask your grown-up to take it out of the microwave very carefully as it will be hot! Make sure you let the plastic cool down until you are able to handle it safely. This will take 5 minutes or more.
- Knead the plastic until it feels like play dough. You can now cut or mould it into the shape you want.
- Leave it to cure for 24-48 hours. It should then be solid and maintain its shape.
Why not try coloured bioplastic? Just add food colouring to your mixture before microwaving.