Design a New Book Cover for Your Favourite Book
Publishers change the covers of books to attract new people to buy them. Look at how many different covers Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone has had over the years.
You will need: a large piece of paper,
coloured pencils or felt tips
- First think of all the words to put on the cover: title, author, publisher, blurb (what the book is about)…
- Secondly, think of pictures that would show what the book is about.
- Decide what goes on the front, the back and the spine.
- Next draw a rough design.
- Add a publisher’s logo, a photo of the author on the back and maybe a quote from a critic.
- Choose a colour scheme and colour carefully.
- Set your cover out as below and remember that the left will be the back and the right will be the front when it is folded onto the book.
- Which way will you write on the spine so that you can read it on a bookshelf?